Jennifer Hemmer has been practicing Family Law exclusively since 2009. She’s been a Super Lawyer Rising Star from 2013 to 2017. Ms. Hemmer attended the University of Pacific McGeorge School of Law. While in law school, she worked as a certified law student for the civil practice clinic on campus, representing clients in court and in settlement negotiations. In her last year at McGeorge, Ms. Hemmer worked as an extern for the judges of the Family Relations Courthouse in Sacramento County. Since graduation in 2008, Jennifer has worked with her mother, Camille Hemmer, in family law practice. They have been partners with Jill Barr since 2013.
After receiving her Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of California, Berkeley in 1986, she played professional basketball in Germany. Following her time in Europe, she completed her Masters Degree in International Relations with an emphasis in business at Columbia University in New York City. Prior to entering law school, she had a 15-year career in sports and entertainment marketing in New York and San Francisco, working for the U.S. Soccer Federation, the National Basketball Association, and Visa.
Ms. Hemmer believes that reaching mutually agreeable resolutions is the best approach to family law issues. However, when a negotiated settlement is not possible, she prepares thoroughly for litigation and is very tenacious in keeping with her competitive sports background. Ms. Hemmer also spends a tremendous amount of time volunteering in the family law community and in Sacramento for school and sports organizations.
Jennifer has chosen to practice family law because she feels she can positively assist clients through a very difficult time in their lives. She believes that her business-minded, yet empathetic approach to her clients’ issues, are a strength in leading the clients through the dissolution or custody process. Ms. Hemmer focuses on realistic solutions to each issue. She provides clients with strong legal advice as well as various perspectives to consider when working through each family law issue.
Professional Experience and Education
- Admitted to the California State Bar in 2009. Practiced Family Law exclusively since 2009
- Extern for the Judges of the Superior Court of Sacramento, William R. Ridgeway Family Relations Courthouse, 2007-2008
- Certified student legal advisor, Pacific McGeorge School of Law Civil Practice Clinic, 2006-2007
- Bachelor of Arts in Social Science from the University of California, Berkeley
- Masters Degree in International Relations with an emphasis in International Business from Columbia University in New York City
- Juris Doctor from the University of Pacific McGeorge School of Law
- Fifteen (15) year career in sports and entertainment marketing prior to attending law school
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of California and its Family Law Section
- Sacramento County Bar Association, and its Family Law Section, and the Child Custody Subcommittee that organizes education and training opportunities
- Women Lawyers of Sacramento
- Super Lawyers – Rising Star, 2013-2017
- Selected Member of the Anthony M. Kennedy Inns of Court in Sacramento, 2007-2008 and 2010-2012 – A legal organization comprised of judges, practicing attorneys and law students that promotes excellence in the legal profession, with special emphasis on ethics, civility and professionalism, through education, mentorship and community outreach
Community and Professional Activities
- Elected parent, Rio Americano High School Site Council, 2014-2018
- Volunteer Vice President of Rio Americano Athletic Boosters Board since 2015
- Manage New Family Lawyers Group in greater Sacramento area – Organize monthly educational presentations to assist newer attorneys in the area of family law since 2009
- Volunteer – Operation Protect and Defend – Judges and lawyers visit high school classrooms to engage students in a dialogue about a curriculum focused on key constitutional issues
- Former Adjunct Professor of sports marketing at University of San Francisco, Masters Degree Program in Sports Management
- Volunteer youth basketball coach